Scholarly literature can be of various types and when some literature is made from original research some are based on other published work. The literature that is made from the original research is called primary literature and those that are made from other’s published work are called secondary literature. But before you publish your literature on scientific journal it is very important to know the different types of scholarly literature that can be published in the scientific journal.
Possible types of scientific publications
The following are some types of research studies that can be published in any reputed science journals:
- Originals research: In almost all science journalism studies that report original research is published which are categorized as primary literature. This type of research work includes hypothesis, background study, methods, outcome, and interpretations of findings as well as discussion of possible implications. Generally, these types of findings are long and require a significant amount of time.
- Review article: This is a type of scholarly literature that provides a critical and constructive of existing literature. In this type of work, the author presents the summary, analysis, and comparison of a particular subject that is already published. Apart from that, this type of work the author tries to find out specific gaps or problems in the existing published literature and tries to rectify the issues. Generally, review articles are of three types and they are literature review, systematic reviews, and meta-analysis.
- Case study: This type of research work presents the details of real-life work and it contributes to the existing knowledge significantly in that particular field. For example, in the case of clinical case study various types of signs, symptoms, diagnosis, treatment of a particular disease. This type of research work needs a lot of practical experience.
- Perspective, opinion, and commentary: This is a type of scholarly review that provides fundamental concepts or prevalent ideas in a particular field. This type of scholarly literature is mainly like an essay that comes up with a personal point of view. However, in the perspective piece of scholarly literature, there can be a review of a single concept as well as it can be of a few related concepts. These types of scholarly literature work are considered to be secondary literature. Apart from that, these types of work are usually short and do not too much time.
- Book review: In most of the scientific journals as well as an academic journal you will find a book review. A book review is a type of scholarly literature that mainly aims to provide insight and opinion on any of the scholarly books that are published recently. This type of book review generally consists of short articles and it requires less time as compared to other research work. Book reviews are a very essential part of any research work and it allows the researchers as well as the readers to stay abreast of new literature in that particular field.